Monday, March 22, 2010

The Single Issue

I'm reading 'The Single Issue' by UK author Al Hsu.

It's not the sort of book I'd choose to read while at bible college (I have around 10 books to read on justification at the moment) but a lady from church who was single for a long time lent it to me....with a strong recommendation that I get into it and at least start thinking things through about singleness.

Of course, I couldn't help but check out Al's take on 1 Corinthians 7.
This was the first thing to do.... to see if it was in accord with Dr Brucey Winter's take on singleness and marriage. But, thankfully, I was able to shake myself free of that creeping habit of assuming that my scholar and teacher (whoever that may be) is the guru and font of all knowledge.
I'm also finding it hard to relate to singleness since I married my highschool sweetheart at age 22.

I've only just covered the intro and chapter 1. While the author sounds a little too defensive and reactionary (and seems to blame the church for his own hangups) I am being made to rethink some of my unconscious assumptions about singleness, society and church.
(Maybe it's me who's being defensive about his hangups?)

One interesting observation she makes (is Al a guy or a girl?) is that
virginity now carries the social stigma that adultery and premarital sex once had.

If that is the case, it's no wonder we live in a confused society.




No comments:

Post a Comment